Report: 49ers made deal to trade Alex Smith
SAN FRANCISCO -- The San Francisco 49ers have a deal in place to trade quarterback Alex Smith, according to multiple reports.
There is speculation that the Kansas City Chiefs are the other team in this deal. The Chiefs desperately need a quarterback and the Niners aren't likely to pay Smith $8.5 million to be Colin Kaepernick's backup.
Smith can't be traded until March 12, but sources say a deal is "effectively complete" with an unidentified team.
alex smith, colin kaepernick, san francisco 49ers, nfl
- Lockdown at high school in Bethlehem
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed 41 min ago
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 29 min ago
- DA: Montco man gave alcohol at 'Sweet 16' party 5 min ago
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 42 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos