Report: 49ers made deal to trade Alex Smith
SAN FRANCISCO -- The San Francisco 49ers have a deal in place to trade quarterback Alex Smith, according to multiple reports.
There is speculation that the Kansas City Chiefs are the other team in this deal. The Chiefs desperately need a quarterback and the Niners aren't likely to pay Smith $8.5 million to be Colin Kaepernick's backup.
Smith can't be traded until March 12, but sources say a deal is "effectively complete" with an unidentified team.
alex smith, colin kaepernick, san francisco 49ers, nfl
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Tracking Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos