Report: 49ers made deal to trade Alex Smith
SAN FRANCISCO -- The San Francisco 49ers have a deal in place to trade quarterback Alex Smith, according to multiple reports.
There is speculation that the Kansas City Chiefs are the other team in this deal. The Chiefs desperately need a quarterback and the Niners aren't likely to pay Smith $8.5 million to be Colin Kaepernick's backup.
Smith can't be traded until March 12, but sources say a deal is "effectively complete" with an unidentified team.
alex smith, colin kaepernick, san francisco 49ers, nfl
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51 55 min ago
- Splendid spring finale 40 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane 50 min ago
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody 45 min ago
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila. 43 min ago
- Back yard bear prompts photos, videos 42 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Desmond's slam leads Nats over Phillies 32 min ago
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
55 min ago
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in...
45 min ago
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
50 min ago
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
43 min ago