49ers name stadium streets after DeBartolo & Walsh
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The city of Santa Clara will name two streets bordering the new 49ers stadium after the some of the team's luminaries.
The San Jose Mercury News reports the team will soon be playing home games at the corner of Marie P DeBartolo Way and Bill Walsh Drive. Debartolo was the matriarch of the family that owns the team. She died in 1987. Walsh was the hall of fame coach who won the team three Super Bowls. He died in 2007.
The sign at the intersection of the two will no doubt be a popular photo spot for 49ers fans.
Also, tonight the Santa Clara City Council is expected to approve a resolution to support a bid to host Super Bowl 50 in 2016. Mayors and business leaders from across the Bay Area gathered last Wednesday inside the shell of the new stadium to promote a Super Bowl bid. They'll be competing with Miami, where lawmakers are scrambling to get a tax measure on the ballot to upgrade their stadium.
The NFL's 32 owners meet on May 21 to select the host site for Super Bowl 50.
san francisco 49ers, santa clara, nfl
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes 46 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight 46 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp.
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough apartment 21 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- No charges for 8 NJ wrestlers in lynching photo
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Rangers top Flyers in playoff opener 4-1 42 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight
46 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough...
21 min ago