Former 49er, Raider Harris speaks out about being gay
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. -- Former San Francisco 49er and Oakland Raiders offensive tackle Kwame Harris is opening up about being gay.
During an interview with CNN Friday morning, he spoke about keeping his homosexuality a secret while playing in the NFL.
The 30-year-old was publicly outed days before the Super Bowl in January after an altercation with a former boyfriend in Menlo Park.
Harris said he doesn't want others who are struggling with their identity to feel alone. "I want people, whether gay athletes, athletes still in the closet, or youths who are not sure what their sexuality is, to know those are common feelings," he said.
menlo park, san francisco 49ers, oakland raiders, crime, domestic violence, food, nfl
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 29 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball