Bay Area 2016 Super Bowl bid looks promising
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The Bay Area inched forward in its quest to host Super Bowl 50 at the 49ers' new stadium after Florida lawmakers punted Friday.
The National Football League had narrowed its choices to Santa Clara or Sun Life Stadium near Miami, but earlier Friday, a bill to upgrade the Dolphins' home died in the Florida legislature.
The NFL said those improvements were needed to host the Super Bowl in 2016. That means the San Francisco Bay Area likely will be the frontrunner to host Super Bowl L in 2016, according to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport.
NFL owners are expected to officially make an announcement May 21.
san francisco 49ers, ed lee, santa clara, nfl, super bowl, construction, nfl
- School Closings & Delays
- Tracking More Snow 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man abducted, robbed and shot in Rhawnhurst 38 min ago
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Phila. students dig out cars stuck in slush
- Video: Widener U. track team helps stuck drivers
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Tracking More Snow
20 min ago
- Katherine Scott reports on the storm...
4 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos