Bay Area 2016 Super Bowl bid looks promising
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The Bay Area inched forward in its quest to host Super Bowl 50 at the 49ers' new stadium after Florida lawmakers punted Friday.
The National Football League had narrowed its choices to Santa Clara or Sun Life Stadium near Miami, but earlier Friday, a bill to upgrade the Dolphins' home died in the Florida legislature.
The NFL said those improvements were needed to host the Super Bowl in 2016. That means the San Francisco Bay Area likely will be the frontrunner to host Super Bowl L in 2016, according to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport.
NFL owners are expected to officially make an announcement May 21.
san francisco 49ers, ed lee, santa clara, nfl, super bowl, construction, nfl
- Snow today, heavy at times 27 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm 34 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 19 min ago
- Pa. Lottery experiencing outages due to weather
- Video: David Henry's noon report from Rittenhouse... 58 min ago
- Video: Katherine Scott's noon report from Delaware
- Video: John Rawlins' noon report from E. Norriton
- Video: Nora Muchanic's noon report from Trenton
- Video: Annie McCormick in Mobile 6 on I-76
- 2 corrections officers hurt in Concord Twp. crash
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- Snow today, heavy at times
27 min ago
- David Henry's noon report from Rittenhouse...
58 min ago