Report: Apple and Gap pledge money for Super Bowl
SAN FRANCISCO -- Some of the Bay Area's most well-known companies are pledging big bucks to help bring pro football's ultimate game to the 49ers new Santa Clara stadium.
San Francisco-based Gap Inc. and Silicon Valley-based Apple and Google are some of the companies that have contributed money. The The Bay Area Super Bowl committee says that indicates regional support for the Super Bowl.
San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee is optimistic.
"I think there's just a tremendous excitement about it so I'm very happy to see such immediate positive response on this," he said. "I think it's going to be the best bid, going forward to the National Football League owners and they're going to be thoroughly impressed and we're going to be excited to host it here in San Francisco. And while the game is played in Santa Clara, we're going to enjoy all of the NFL Experience, all of the major events; the media coverage will be here in the city."
The Bay Area's competition for the big game is the city of Miami, a city that has hosted more Super Bowls than any other.
It's a competition the committee thinks it can win. Apple recently sent every NFL owner, who will be voting on the Super Bowl's location, a brand new iPad mini.
The vote takes place next week.
gap, apple, super bowl, san francisco 49ers, levi strauss, santa clara, construction, ed lee, nfl, amy hollyfield
- Drexel student found dead in sorority house 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 31 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 4 min ago
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Video: Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
31 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos