Super Bowl 50 bid committee returns to Bay Area
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Members of the committee responsible for bringing Super Bowl 50 to the Bay Area returned home Wednesday afternoon.
Members of the San Francisco bid committee responsible for bringing Super Bowl 50 to the Bay Area returned Wednesday afternoon. ABC7 News with San Francisco 49ers CEO Jed York who just got off the plane from Boston where the announcement was made.
York is elated about Super Bowl 50 coming to the Bay Area in 2016. He says the 49ers lost to the Baltimore Ravens several months ago, so it's nice to bring the Super Bowl to the Bay Area. Clearly, the fact that the city of Santa Clara will have a new and very modern stadium influenced the NFL's decision.
York thanked a lot of people who worked hard to make this happen. "Companies from Silicon Valley, companies from San Francisco, companies from all over, and just people putting their effort behind this, and you win when everyone comes together," he said. Super Bowl 50 will bring hundreds of millions of dollars of economic activity to the Bay Area and beyond.
"We have to put a team in place, a full-time staff, because this is a huge undertaking. There is nothing in this that's insignificant and so we have to put the full weight of our resources here in the Bay Area beind showing the world that we can host a game of this magnitude, which I have no doubt that we can," said Super Bowl bid committee member Daniel Lurie.
The preparations for Super Bowl 50 have already begun.
super bowl, san francisco 49ers, santa clara, nfl, nfl, lyanne melendez
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 7 min ago
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos