Linebacker Aldon Smith to sit out next game for 49ers
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco 49ers management has ruled linebacker Aldon Smith will not play Thursday. He has been suspended indefinitely.
Despite his recent arrest, the 23-year-old started during Sunday's game against Indianapolis. He had five tackles in a 27-7 loss to the Colts.
Smith was arrested Friday on suspicion of DUI and marijuana possession.
He faces a suspension from the league, but the team has stepped in to take control of the situation.
"I don't know that there's a right decision in this situation," 49ers CEO Jed York said. "It was obviously something that was very disappointing to the team and I think in talking with Aldon and knowing what he wants to do, there's not a one-day fix. This is a long-term fix. We support Aldon if Aldon is willing to fight for himself and try to make this right and I will stand here and I will support him and I'll take any shots that anybody wants to direct at the organization, you can direct them to me. And I will support Aldon as long as he's willing to work at this and fight to get better."
Smith is a key pass rusher and sacks leader for the Niners, and coach Jim Harbaugh had said leading up to Sunday that the NFL would decide how to punish the third-year pro, who turns 24 Wednesday.
Smith did not field questions, but apologized after the game, "First off I wanted to apologize to the team, the organization, my family and everybody I let down. I also wanted to let it be known that this is a problem and it's something that I will get fixed, and that I'll do everything in my power to make sure that this never happens again. I also wanted to let everybody know that once again I'm sorry and, like I said, this won't happen again."
He'll be arraigned in court in November.
(The Associated Press contributed to this story)
san francisco 49ers, DUI, shooting, santa clara county, lawsuit, guns, alcohol, marijuana, drugs, crash, nfl, nfl
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight 49 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle 7 min ago
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash 59 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 54 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
49 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
54 min ago