Packers rule Rodgers out against Falcons
Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers won't play Sunday against the Atlanta Falcons, coach Mike McCarthy said Friday.
Packers coach Mike McCarthy removed any possibility that Rodgers would return from his broken collarbone and play Sunday against the Atlanta Falcons at Lambeau Field by ruling him out on Friday's injury report.
"Aaron Rodgers is not ready to go," McCarthy said.
There was a glimmer of hope that Rodgers would return this week, but tests Tuesday showed he was not healed enough for team doctors to clear him to play. Rodgers was cleared to practice in pads, which he did Thursday for the first time since his injury, but Matt Flynn took the starter's reps all week and will get the call against the Falcons.
The Packers (5-6-1) haven't won since Rodgers was injured on the team's initial possession Nov. 4 against the Chicago Bears, going 0-4-1 and falling into third place in the NFC North.
"He doesn't really let it show to anybody else, but you know he's frustrated and you know he wants to get out there," Flynn said Friday. "This is his team and for him not to be out there is really hard on him. But he doesn't let it show. He's been great trying to get me ready, and just try to pass on tips, as he always did when I was here for four years. He's been a great asset for us."
Flynn will make his second straight start despite his struggles during the Packers' 40-10 loss to the Detroit Lions on Thanksgiving. He completed just 10 of 20 passes for 139 yards with no touchdowns and one interception. The offense generated only three points, while the defense scored the team's only touchdown.
"I don't think you can really look at any one part of what we did as an offense and say we did it well," Flynn said. "We need to throw the ball better, and we need to get some completions."
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- Neighbors help residents escape Trenton fire 40 min ago
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons 55 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia
- Doors smashed in 2 Prices Corner store burglaries
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos