Cowboys reach deal to bring back Kitna, 41
With Tony Romo ailing, the Dallas Cowboys have reached into their recent past by agreeing to a deal with veteran Jon Kitna.
The 41-year-old Kitna was signed by the Cowboys on Wednesday and with the team at practice later in the afternoon. To make room on the roster, dallas released wide receiver/kick returner Micheal Spurlock.
Kitna last played for the Cowboys in 2011 and then retired. He has been teaching and coaching high school football in Tacoma, Wash.
The Cowboys have not ruled out Romo from playing Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles, despite a back injury. However, sources have told ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen that Romo will not play this season and needs back surgery.
Sources said Romo had an epidural injection on Monday, and the hope is it quells the back troubles enough for him to be able to play.
Kyle Orton will start if Romo can't play.
The Cowboys worked out David Carr, John Skelton, Tyler Thigpen, Caleb Hanie and Richard Bartel on Tuesday, but elected to go with Kitna, who knows the Cowboys' offense and most of their personnel, but has been out of the NFL for two seasons.
In 15 seasons with the Cowboys, Detroit Lions, Cincinnati Bengals and Seattle Seahawks, Kitna started 124 games, throwing for 29,745 yards with 169 touchdowns and 165 interceptions. He started nine games for the Cowboys in 2010 after Romo suffered a broken collarbone and threw for 2,365 yards with 16 touchdown passes and 12 interceptions.
The Cowboys needed to sign a quarterback to at least get through practice with Romo hurt. They have not had an extra QB since losing Alex Tanney off the practice squad last month.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Fire forces several residents from Logan apartments 3 min ago
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
18 min ago
- Fire forces several residents from Logan...
3 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos