Ditka released from hospital after minor stroke
ESPN NFL analyst Mike Ditka was released from the hospital Sunday, two days after suffering a minor stroke.ESPN NFL analyst Mike Ditka was released from the hospital Sunday, two days after suffering a minor stroke.
Ditka's agent, Steve Mandell, told ESPNChicago.com that the legendary coach is home after receiving a clean bill of health from doctors. Mandell said Ditka plans on hosting his radio program, "The Mike Ditka Show," on Tuesday on ESPN 1000. Ditka, 73, was at a suburban country club in Chicago playing cards Friday when he suffered the stroke.
He will not be on ESPN's NFL shows this weekend in Bristol, Conn., but expects to return soon.
Ditka, who coached the Chicago Bears from 1982-92, hasn't had any health problems since suffering a heart attack on Nov. 2, 1988, after the Bears lost to the New England Patriots. He returned on Nov. 13 that season to oversee a 34-14 win over Washington.
Ditka was the fifth overall pick of the Bears in the 1961 draft out of Pittsburgh. As a tight end, he was named rookie of the year and made five straight Pro Bowls.
Ditka was was traded to the Eagles in 1967, and finished his playing career with the Cowboys. He was named head coach of the Bears In 1982. Three years later, he led Chicago to a Super Bowl victory over the Patriots. The Bears finished the season with an 18-1 record.
After going 5-11 in 1992, Ditka was fired. He coached the Saints from 1997-2000, before retiring with a record of 121-95.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 29 min ago
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 26 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA 32 min ago
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire 8 min ago
- Multiple arrests after fight in bar parking lot
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
19 min ago
- 2 injured after vehicle hits sinkhole in...
55 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos