Leftwich (ribs) out; Steelers to start Batch
Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin confirmed Tuesday that Byron Leftwich is out Sunday and that Charlie Batch will start against the Cleveland Browns.
Leftwich fractured two ribs in Sunday night's 13-10 loss to the Baltimore Ravens.
"Byron Leftwich is out with a rib fracture that he sustained late in the football game," Tomlin said.
Leftwich also hurt his shoulder, but sources said it was not believed to be as damaging as the rib injuries.
Batch, 37, made his last start Dec. 24, 2011, completing 15 of 22 passes for 208 yards and a touchdown in a 27-0 victory over the St. Louis Rams.
Tomlin also offered an update on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, calling him doubtful for this week.
Roethlisberger missed Sunday's game against the Ravens (8-2) because of a rare dislocated rib injury. Steelers doctors believe Roethlisberger will miss three weeks, though the team has not abandoned hope that he may miss only two games and be able to return for the rematch Dec. 2.
Information from ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen and ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter was used in this report.
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 36 min ago
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 48 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 3 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 21 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 12 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 21 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
13 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
48 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos