Ex-Steelers center Cherundolo dies in Fla. at 96
Former Pittsburgh Steelers center and coach Chuck Cherundolo has died in Florida at the age of 96.LAKELAND, Fla. -- Former Pittsburgh Steelers center and coach Chuck Cherundolo has died in Florida at the age of 96.
His daughter, Pat Cherundolo, said Saturday that the former player died of heart failure on Dec. 22 in Lakeland.
Cherundolo played for the Steelers in the 1940s, taking a break to serve in the Navy during World War II. In 2007, the Steelers named him to their legends team, representing the franchise's best players through 1970.
Cherundolo was born in Old Forge, Pa. He played football at Penn State University before beginning his professional career with the Cleveland Rams. He played for the Philadelphia Eagles for one season before joining the Steelers.
Cherundolo also coached in the NFL, including many years with the Steelers.
His daughter says he was amazed by improvements in safety gear and players' salaries over the years.
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos