Sources: Saints to seek new Vilma, Smith deals
The Saints will ask linebacker Jonathan Vilma and defensive end Will Smith, two players embroiled in the bounty scandal, to restructure their contracts, according to league sources.
Smith is due $10.15 million for 2013, while Vilma is owed $6 million in the final year of his deal.
If the players are unwilling to restructure, they could be cap casualties.
As of Friday, the Saints were about $13.5 million over the salary cap, but that was before linebacker Curtis Lofton restructured his contract. The Saints must be below the cap by March 12.
Lofton's cap figure was scheduled to be $7.1 million. But the Saints were able to drop that number to $3.1 million by replacing a scheduled $5 million roster bonus with a $5 million signing bonus that will be pro-rated over the remainder of the contract.
Information from ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas was used in this report.
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City 59 min ago
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
59 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos