Packers' Finley says he won't accept pay cut
Jermichael Finley told ESPN's Josina Anderson on Wednesday that he wouldn't be willing to accept a pay cut in order to stay with the Green Bay Packers.
The tight end is due a $3 million roster bonus on March 27 and there were rumblings during last season that the team was preparing to cut ties with him. If the Packers trade or release Finley, they would save $8.25 million.
He told ESPN that he hasn't been contacted by the Packers about restructuring his contract, a two-year deal he signed with the team last offseason.
"The Packers are barely talking to me right now," he told ESPN. "I know they're just doing it the Packer way and playing it close to the vest."
"I haven't got a call. I haven't got a text asking me to take a pay cut or to restructure my deal at this point -- not at all," he said.
If the Packers do contact him about reworking his contract, he made it clear he'd rather be released than have to take a pay cut.
"I'd have to walk for sure, meaning I couldn't take a pay cut," he told ESPN. "Maybe I'd restructure if it's a deal that I like and it makes sense, but I'm not the guy that's just going to sign anything and let anything pass.
"I'm not that guy. Other than that, taking a pay cut or restructuring doesn't sound good to me at this time. I like my deal. I start training in Minneapolis [on Thursday] and I'm more inspired than ever to start next season off right and be the tight end I know I can be. It's all business at the end of the day. I just love what I do."
Finley, 25, had a bit of a disappointing season in 2012, catching 61 passes for 667 yards and two touchdowns. His agent also made waves last season when he questioned quarterback Aaron Rodgers' leadership qualities.
He has 64 receptions for 2,485 yards and 17 TDs in three seasons.
ESPN's Josina Anderson contributed to this report.
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens 30 min ago
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas 29 min ago
- Delaware Co. mother seeks help finding son's killer 27 min ago
- Minn. man pulls police officer from burning car 26 min ago
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI 33 min ago
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans 24 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 37 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
34 min ago
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit,...
1 min ago
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
30 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite,...
37 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos