Redskins' Fletcher prepping to return in 2013
Washington Redskins linebacker London Fletcher told a Washington radio station that he is preparing to return for a 16th NFL season and had surgery Wednesday on his left ankle, which bothered him late in the season.
He sent a tweet Wednesday afternoon after the surgery was completed.
He wrote: "Surgery went great...thanks for all the well wishes! Prep begins now for season 16!"
Fletcher earlier revealed his plans to 106.7 The Fan in Washington and also said he will have an additional surgery to clean up his elbow later this month. The surgical procedures will be the first of Fletcher's NFL career.
"Surgery is the first step towards prepping for next season," he told the radio station.
The Redskins had been hoping to learn about Fletcher's plans by March 12, the official start of free agency.
Fletcher, who turns 38 in May, has never missed a game in his NFL career and has appeared in 240 in a row, tying him with Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive back Ronde Barber for the longest active streak.
Fletcher has led the Redskins in tackles each of the past six seasons and had 139 last season.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft 1 min ago
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting 5 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian killed in Collingdale hit-and-run 16 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Finally, a nice weekend!
11 min ago
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart...
1 min ago
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton...
5 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos