Steven Jackson not ready to become a backup
Steven Jackson says he wants to start for whatever team he plays for next season.
Steven Jackson envisions himself as a starter for whatever team he plays for next season.
"For where I'm at, going into Year 10, I'm not ready to step back and just become a primary backup or a reduced role guy to be part of a running back by committee," Jackson said Thursday on Sirius XM NFL Radio. "I still have a lot left in my tank. I still have a lot left to offer to a team. We're not talking about someone that's in Year 12 or 13."
As expected, Jackson voided his contract with the St. Louis Rams on Thursday, making the 29-year-old an unrestricted free agent.
Jackson, the Rams' career rushing leader, didn't totally rule out a reduced role should he land with a contender. He never has played for a winning team over his nine-year career.
"Well, that's where a very open dialogue has to take place," he said. "I have opted out of my position of being with the team and being comfortable because I want to continue to still be the bell cow. So that's how I want teams to look at me, that's how I'm going to shop myself, and we'll cross that bridge when we get there if that's not the feedback we're receiving."
A three-time Pro Bowler, Jackson has topped 1,000 yards rushing in each of the last eight seasons. According to ESPN Stats & Information, only three players in NFL history have a longer streak of consecutive 1,000-yard rushing seasons than Jackson's current run: Emmitt Smith (11 from 1991-01), Curtis Martin (10 from 1995-04) and Barry Sanders (10 from 1989-98). All are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Jackson rushed for 1,042 yards and four touchdowns last season. He has 2,395 carries for 10,135 yards and 56 touchdowns over his career.
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 40 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 45 min ago
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
40 min ago
- Kevin Grow suits up with Harlem Globetrotters
51 min ago
- Milder Monday
43 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos