Welker comparisons not new for Amendola
In his first time answering questions from New England media members, it didn't take long before Danny Amendola was asked about comparisons to Wes Welker.
It came on the first question, the second part of a two-part query.
The Amendola versus Welker storyline is a natural one -- they both went to Texas Tech and have a similar underdog story after going undrafted -- and it's something that figures to follow the 27-year-old Amendola throughout his tenure with the Patriots. After all, he was signed to a five-year, $28.5 million deal to help the team replace Welker.
"As far as comparisons to Wes, I've been hearing it for a long time," Amendola said Friday. "I watched him play the whole time -- he's a great player, he's had a number of Pro Bowls and done a lot of good things to help the Patriots win. One of my main goals is to fill my role and try to do what I can to now help the Patriots win as well."
As for what role Amendola will play in New England, a few things to keep in mind: At 5-foot-11 and 188 pounds, he's slightly bigger than Welker (5-9, 185), but his skill set is similar (e.g., run after the catch, good change of direction) although not a carbon copy (he's faster in terms of straight-line speed). Amendola projects to the slot, but he has versatility to also play outside, which Welker did as well.
In 2011, Amendola played under Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels with the Rams, and he said that added a layer of comfort for him in signing with the Patriots.
He added that he spoke with quarterback Tom Brady briefly on Thursday, and "hopefully we'll get together soon so we can start throwing."
Describing how he views himself after being asked about his strengths and weaknesses, Amendola said: "I believe that, deep down at heart, I'm a football player."
Sounds a lot like the player he was signed to help replace.
- Woman shot while sleeping in South Philadelphia 5 min ago
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos