Falcons, Osi expect to reach deal, sources say
Osi Umenyiora and the Atlanta Falcons have made enough progress for each side to believe the deal will get done this week, more likely sooner rather than later, league sources said.
The two sides continue negotiating a contract and have made enough progress for each side to believe the deal will get done this week, more likely sooner rather than later, league sources said.
Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Monday that the talks between his team and Umenyiora were "fluid and amicable."
Umenyiora had 43 tackles and six sacks last season for the New York Giants. Following the 2010 season, in which he had 11.5 sacks and 10 forced fumbles, Umenyiora clashed with general manager Jerry Reese over his desire for a new contract.
Umenyiora, who has a home in Atlanta, discussed his talks with the Falcons with an Atlanta radio station last Friday.
"There was nothing better than being able to win there [in New York]," the free-agent pass-rusher said on Atlanta's 92.9 The Game. "The only thing I can think of, for myself personally, [better] than being able to win in New York would be if I was able to win here at home in Atlanta. So we'll see how that plays out. Hopefully, it will work out in a positive direction."
Information from ESPNNewYork.com's Ohm Youngmisuk was used in this report.
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist 53 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital 45 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 9 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
9 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos