RG III: Goal is to return Week 1 if healthy
Robert Griffin III said in a statement released to ESPN on Tuesday that his goal is to return Week 1, but only if he's healthy.
Robert Griffin III said in a statement released to ESPN on Tuesday that his goal is to return in Week 1, but only if he's healthy.
"My knee is getting better every day. The doctors say I'm ahead of schedule. My goal is to return healthy in Week 1 but if I'm not ready then I will wait until I am, however long that is. My first NFL season and my injury that ended it showed me a lot about the league, my team and myself," the Washington Redskins quarterback said in the statement.
"I know where my responsibility is within the dilemma that led to me having surgery to repair my knee and all parties involved know their responsibilities as well. I'm looking forward to playing the game we all love so much again and not behind at the negative. Thanks for the overwhelming level of support that I've received, sic em (Baylor) Bears and hail to the Redskins!!"
Griffin's surgeon, Dr. James Andrews, told ESPN's Stephania Bell late last week that the quarterback's recovery from surgery on Jan. 9 to repair two knee ligaments has been "unbelievable" and put him in a class of "superhuman" athletes he has treated.
"RG III is one those superhumans. First patient I ever had like that was Bo Jackson. And recently I, of course, had Adrian Peterson, who is also superhuman. They have an unbelievable ability to recover, whereas a normal human being may not be able to recover," Andrews told ESPN.
In a follow-up text Wednesday to ESPN's Trey Wingo, Griffin said he's not worried that he won't be ready for Week 1.
"I'm not afraid I won't be ready. If anything I agree with Dr Andrews that I will be ready," he said.
- $30K possibly stolen in Target armed robbery 52 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run 1 min ago
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash 40 min ago
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- 70s Return This Week
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos