Eagles sign ex-Dallas RB Jones
Former Dallas Cowboys running back Felix Jones signed a one-year deal with the Philadelphia Eagles on Tuesday, the team announced.
The 2008 first-round draft choice out of Arkansas spent the first five years of his career with the Cowboys. The free agent had visited with the Eagles and first-year coach Chip Kelly last week before working out for the New England Patriots.
"I just felt like when I took my visit here in Philadelphia it kind of fit me. I'm excited to be an Eagle," Jones told reporters Tuesday, according to the team's website. "I was trying to really see what's out there. When I visited the Eagles, I got to know the coaches and figured out the system and how things are going to be going. I liked it. I felt like it fit me."
The 26-year-old Jones started seven games last season while playing in all 16, finishing with 402 yards on 111 carries for a 3.6 average. He had three rushing touchdowns with 25 receptions for 262 yards and two TDs through the air.
He also is a candidate to help the Eagles on kickoff returns, an area Philadelphia struggled with last season, finishing 26th in the NFL with a 21.0 average. Jones returned 64 kickoffs for the Cowboys, including 11 last season. He has a 23.9 career average, including one touchdown -- a 98-yard return in 2008, his rookie season.
"I'm excited about kickoff returns," Jones told reporters. "It's something I always did, something I always wanted to do. Whenever coach gives me an opportunity to go out there and do it, I'm ready to go."
McCoy was limited to 840 yards last season after rushing for a career-high 1,309 yards in 2011. He missed four games late in the season with concussion symptoms.
"I'm definitely competing for a spot to play. It's going to be fun to learn from those guys, to pick up what they've done to help them out," Jones told reporters. "It's going to help me with my game as well. I always played with a couple backs anyway ever since college. It's always a thrill to have a couple good people in your position because they can push you."
Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and ESPNBoston.com's Mike Reiss was used in this report.
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications 49 min ago
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved 42 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion 56 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- Building under demolition collapses in Old...
30 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
56 min ago
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos