Bills' Williams clarifies 'kill' comment on D
Buffalo Bills defensive end Mario Williams has clarified his comments that defensive coordinator Mike Pettine ever used the word 'kill' when discussing the club's defense.
"He usually says, 'Kill 'em or hurt 'em.' That's what I always hear," Williams had told The Buffalo News.
However, Williams took to Twitter to clear up Pettine's philosophy.
"The phrase 'kill them' has never been said by Coach Pet or any of my coaches/teammates," Williams wrote. "I said it as figure of speech from 'my perspective' not literally or any actual intention. Coach Pet has led us in an aggressive D since Day One. We've operated in a 'beat them' mode this offseason w/a goal of mentally hurting the offense (future opponents) by being physical and disruptive at the line of scrimmage & through any pass protection. Pressure, TFL, turnovers and sacks."
In a statement released to The Associated Press on Friday, coach Doug Marrone said he's been assured by Pettine that he's never used "kill." Marrone did say Pettine has used the word "hurt," but not in the context of a physical nature.
If Pettine had said "kill," the NFL surely wouldn't have been happy after the New Orleans Saints bounty scandal.
Former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, the Bills coach at one time, was suspended indefinitely for his role in the bounty controversy before being reinstated. He was once caught on tape telling the Saints, "Kill the head, the body will die."Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos