Tight end Winslow signs one-year deal with Jets
After a three-day tryout, tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. signed a one-year contract Friday with the New York Jets, the team announced.
It seems like an ideal marriage, as the Jets are thin at the position and Winslow is looking to resurrect his once-promising career.
The move came as no surprise, as Jets coach Rex Ryan praised Winslow throughout the three-day minicamp, which concluded Thursday.
"I see exactly what you see," Ryan said. "I see that athleticism, and his ability to catch the football jumps out."
Winslow admitted he was rusty, but he was pleased with his performance and still believes he can contribute in the NFL.
"I'm a dynamic player," he said, calling the Jets "a great spot."
Winslow, who had leg and knee injuries early in his career, said after the final practice that he already had passed the team's physical.
He nearly was off the NFL radar last season, catching only one pass in one game with the New England Patriots. They picked him up after he was released by the Seattle Seahawks. Jets general manager John Idzik was a member of the Seahawks' front office and observed him throughout the offseason.
Idzik liked what he saw in minicamp.
"We thought Kellen did a nice job given the fact that he got off a plane and got into a meeting and, a couple of hours later, was on the field," Idzik said. "All things considered, he did a pretty good job."
At one time, Winslow was considered one of the premier tight ends in the NFL. He was a first-round pick of the Browns in 2004, but injuries and attitude landed him in the doghouse.
He was traded to the Buccaneers in 2009 and received the biggest tight end contract in history -- six years, $36 million. He had three solid seasons for the Bucs but was dealt to the Seahawks in 2011.
Winslow has 438 career receptions for 4,848 yards and 23 touchdowns. His last full season was 2011, when he caught 75 passes for the Bucs.
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 22 min ago
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup 9 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course 6 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos