Titans' Pollard: Mission to 'kill,' goal is SB
Bernard Pollard is bringing a swagger with him to the Tennessee Titans.
Joining the Titans as a free agent after playing with the Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens last season, Pollard made some bold proclamations for his first season with his new team in an interview with The Tennessean.
"Our goal is the Super Bowl, and our mission is to kill," Pollard told the newspaper, pointing to his message written in a Sharpie on a white piece of paper and taped to his locker at Baptist Sports Park. "And if someone doesn't like it, then who cares? I really couldn't care less. It is not our responsibility to make anyone else happy, to please you, to care about you.
"Our responsibility is to protect LP Field, and our responsibility is to steal wins on the road. And our responsibility is to [beat you up] as a defense, and that's what we're going to do on every single play. You have to have that mentality because nobody cares about the Tennessee Titans. Nobody. So you have to take the respect. That's what we have to do. ... Yeah, this team can get to the Super Bowl."
The talk from the strong safety may be a bit premature. The rebuilding Titans, who have not won a playoff game since 2003, went just 6-10 last season and allowed a franchise-record 471 points to go with an NFL-high 55 touchdowns.
Pollard also told the paper he wouldn't have signed with the Titans if he didn't think the team couldn't contend.
"I ain't trying to waste my time, bro," he said.
In Tennessee, Pollard will be playing under a defensive staff that includes Gregg Williams, who is returning this season after his suspension for his involvement in the New Orleans Saints' bounty scandal.
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes 51 min ago
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents 50 min ago
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living 49 min ago
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt 56 min ago
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery 52 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 44 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 42 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
46 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire...
51 min ago
- Rescuers airlift horse out of Angeles...
40 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos