Dog rescued from Vick fighting ring euthanized
A pit bull rehabilitated after being used as a top fighter in the dogfighting ring bankrolled by quarterback Michael Vick has died.
KANAB, Utah -- A pit bull rehabilitated after being used as a top fighter in the dogfighting ring bankrolled by quarterback Michael Vick has died.
Officials at the Best Friends Animal Society say Lucas was euthanized Wednesday because of accumulating health problems.
Nearly two dozen of the Vick dogs were rehabilitated at Best Friends in Kanab, Utah. Lucas was one of two not allowed to be adopted because of his history as a fighter.
So, he spent most of his time lounging in the administrative offices at Best Friends, where he was widely known as one of the friendliest dogs at the sanctuary.
Gregory Castle, the CEO at Best Friends, says it was "a blessing in every way to be around him and to witness the wonderful effects on everyone he met."
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos