Kaepernick's pitch 87 mph at Giants game
San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick threw out the first pitch at Friday's San Francisco Giants game against the Marlins.
Colin Kaepernick had some practice throwing a ball Friday night -- a baseball, that is.
Kaepernick, selected by the Cubs in the 43rd round of the 2009 MLB first-year player draft before choosing to pursue football, hit 87 mph with the pitch, according to the Niners' Twitter account.
"87 on the first pitch.... Not too bad next year I'm goin to spring training to get ready! #sfgiants," he tweeted.
On Thursday night, Kaepernick, a star high school pitcher in California whose fastball was clocked in the 90s, expressed excitement at getting back on the mound.
"Picking up a baseball for the first time in 7 yrs tomorrow to throw out the first pitch for the @sfgiants ....... Lets see if there is anything left in the tank!" he posted on Twitter.
The Niners, who begin training camp in late July, open the 2013 season on Sept. 8 at home against Green Bay.
- $30K possibly stolen in Target armed robbery
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash 19 min ago
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
23 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos