Cowboys' Brent fails 2nd drug test, jailed
Dallas Cowboys defensive lineman Josh Brent failed a second drug test and a Dallas County judge revoked his bond and sent him to jail on Thursday according to the Dallas County District Attorney's office.
Dallas Cowboys defensive lineman Josh Brent failed a second drug test and was sent back to jail on Thursday, according to the Dallas County District Attorney's office. Despite Brent's return to jail, the Cowboys have no immediate plans to part ways with him, league sources told ESPN's Ed Werder.
A Dallas County judge held Brent's bond "insufficient," the DA said. The DA had filed a motion on Tuesday asking a judge to revoke Brent's bond because it was revealed he failed a drug test taken on June 19.
Brent was out on bail after being charged with intoxication manslaughter resulting in the death last year of best friend and teammate, Jerry Brown.
Brent is still on the Cowboys' 90-man roster.
Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said the team would have no comment and Brent's agent, Peter Schaffer, said he's aware of everything involving the case, but wouldn't comment further.
According to court records, Brent has tested positive for marijuana twice.
Brent had a bond hearing scheduled for July 19 when the Dallas DA said he failed a drug test in late May. Brent has his trial for the intoxication manslaughter charge scheduled for Sept. 23.
Brent's attorneys have held preliminary discussions about a plea deal. Brent is subject to the NFL's personal conduct policy, which could lead him to a suspension or fine. League officials were awaiting for Brent's legal situation to be completed before rendering a decision on his future.
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter
- Snow plow overturns on I-95 in Delaware 34 min ago
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words 43 min ago
- Obama announces sanctions against Russians 42 min ago
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Mick Jagger's girlfriend found dead in NYC 2 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 20 min ago
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- Photos: Pictures from Phila. St. Patrick's Parade
- Family of injured Harrah's racer sues casino
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos