Ex-Browns linebacker pleads not guilty
A former rookie linebacker for the Cleveland Browns has pleaded not guilty to attempted murder and other charges in New Jersey.
PATERSON, N.J. -- A former rookie linebacker for the Cleveland Browns has pleaded not guilty to attempted murder and other charges in New Jersey.
Ausar Walcott was arraigned Thursday in Paterson, N.J. He is accused of punching Derek Jones in the side of the head outside The Palace Gentlemen's Club in Passaic early Sunday.
A prosecutor says Jones is in a medically induced coma at a New York hospital, where he's listed in critical condition.
The 23-year-old Walcott is being represented by a public defender while he attempts to hire an attorney. He is being held on $500,000 bail. The case will now go to a grand jury.
Walcott, who played for the University of Virginia, was signed by the Browns on May 13 following a tryout. The team released him Wednesday.
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean 49 min ago
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash 14 min ago
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue 51 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies 22 min ago
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
41 min ago
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila....
23 min ago
- Man mistaken for dead passes away
19 min ago
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City...
51 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos