Cards donate $100K after fires, visit shelter
The Arizona Cardinals on Tuesday reached out to the help the community affected by the deadly wildfires in Northern Arizona.
The Arizona Cardinals on Tuesday reached out to the help the community affected by the deadly wildfires in northern Arizona.
On Sunday, flames jumped amid shifting winds and created a death trap for 19 members of a Prescott, Ariz.-based Hotshot firefighting crew.
On Wednesday, team president Michael Bidwill donated $100,000 to the 100 Club of Arizona, which assists families of police and firefighters who are seriously injured or killed in the line of duty.
"Our hearts go out to all of those affected by the devastating and tragic events this week, especially the families of the 19 brave members of the Granite Mountain Hotshots who lost their lives serving our community," Bidwill said in a statement. "Our team is proud to assist the ongoing efforts and encourage our fans, the community and Arizona businesses to support these relief initiatives."
Also on Wednesday, defensive tackle David Carter, team mascot Big Red, owner Bill Bidwill's daughter, Nicole, and her rescue dog, Barney, visited a Red Cross shelter in Prescott to lift the spirits of families displaced by the fire, which reportedly has destroyed at least 200 homes.
"They were kind of down when I walked in there," Carter told the team's website. "We had the big dog and all the kids got excited. It was great to see smiles on their faces, and not worrying about their house.
"It was a great experience. It warmed me up on the inside, I was giving hugs and people are happy right now just because I'm here. It was great to show them how much I care."
The Cardinals also are planning more fundraising campaigns that they said would be introduced later this month when the team begins training camp.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Oil slick, debris not from missing Malaysia jet 39 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: Skydiver's mid-air collision with plane 45 min ago
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act 23 min ago
- Skydiver's mid-air collision with plane
45 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos