Bucs sign Tynes after Barth lost for season
Buccaneers kicker Connor Barth will miss the upcoming season after tearing his right Achilles tendon while playing in a charity basketball game last week, while the team moved to replace him by signing veteran Lawrence Tynes.
TAMPA, Fla. -- Buccaneers kicker Connor Barth will miss the upcoming season after tearing his right Achilles tendon while playing in a charity basketball game last week, the team announced Wednesday. The Buccaneers quickly signed veteran Lawrence Tynes to replace him.
Barth, 27, will be placed on the reserve/non-football injury list. He had surgery Monday and will spend the season rehabilitating.
"We are disappointed to lose a productive player like Connor but are very fortunate to be able to sign an experienced kicker at this time of year," general manager Mark Dominik said.
Coach Greg Schiano echoed Dominik's thoughts during his news conference Thursday. He said Tynes would compete with Derek Dimke, who signed in the spring, for the kicking job.
"Those two guys will give us a chance to have a really good competition and make the best of a bad situation," Schiano said.
Tynes, 35, has spent nine seasons in the NFL, playing for the Kansas City Chiefs and New York Giants. Tynes has made 190 of 233 (81.5 percent) career field goal attempts. Last season with the Giants, Tynes made 33 of 39 field goal attempts and all 46 of his extra-point attempts for a career-high 145 points, which ranked second in the NFL.
Giants punter Steve Weatherford tweeted congratulations to his former teammate on Wednesday.
Barth has made a team-record 84.3 percent of his field goal attempts since joining the Bucs midway through the 2009 season. In 2011, he set a single-season franchise record by making 26 of 28 (92.9 percent) field goal attempts.
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 41 min ago
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 2 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 8 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 26 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 17 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 26 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
18 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos