Bucs trade CB Wright to 49ers for draft pick
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers announced Friday afternoon that they have traded cornerback Eric Wright to the San Francisco 49ers for a conditional pick in 2014.
Signed as a free agent last year, Wright had a rocky first season with the Bucs. He missed part of the offseason program while dealing with an undisclosed medical condition and was suspended four games for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances.
Wright was not fulfilling expectations required of all players, a source told ESPN.com on Friday, adding that the Bucs were prepared to release Wright if they were unable to trade him. According to Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department records, Wright was arrested on a suspicion of driving under the influence misdemeanor charge on July 12. He was released the next day after posting $5,000 bond, according to the records.
Wright played in 10 games with Tampa Bay, finishing with 37 tackles and one interception. In 2011 with the Detroit Lions, Wright started 16 games and had four interceptions.
After last season, Wright agreed to a restructured contract that included a large pay cut, which seemed to clear the way for him to stay with the Bucs.
Bucs offensive lineman Donald Penn voiced his displeasure with the trade on Twitter:
I can't believe this trade and I'm just gonna leave it at that smfh— Donald Penn (@DPENN70) July 19, 2013
"We are pleased to add Eric to our team," said 49ers general manager Trent Baalke. "As an organization, we have done our due diligence and anticipate Eric working hard to contribute to the 49ers."
The 49ers announced earlier Friday that they had waived cornerback Lowell Rose, who was signed as an undrafted free agent May 7.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Video: Obama misspells "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" in Aretha... 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
29 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos