Dolphins sign DE Jordan, No. 3 overall pick
First-round draft pick Dion Jordan has signed with the Miami Dolphins, who will have all nine draft choices under contract for the start of training camp workouts Sunday.
Jordan, a defensive end and linebacker from Oregon, signed a multiyear contract Saturday and will take part in the first training camp practice Sunday. He missed all of the Dolphins' offseason workouts because Oregon is on the quarter system.
Jordan's deal is worth $20,572,298 in total, including a signing bonus of $13,341,672 and $5,070,626 in guaranteed roster bonuses, a league source told ESPN's Adam Schefter. The signing bonus will be paid over the next four months.
With his signing, the Dolphins have all nine draft choices under contract. Players reported Saturday.
Jordan has been in South Florida for the past two months working out with teammates, but conceded he had ground to make up because of the practices he missed. He had right shoulder surgery in February and might be limited at the start of camp.
The 6-foot-6, 240-pound Jordan was the third player taken in the draft after the Dolphins swung a trade with Oakland to move up nine spots. Miami projects he'll upgrade a defense that tied for fourth-worst in the league in takeaways last year.
Jordan totaled 14.5 career sacks as a speed rusher in college and has drawn comparisons to former Dolphin Jason Taylor. Jordan may initially be a pass-rush specialist with the Dolphins, but they anticipate he'll eventually become an every-down end in their 4-3 scheme opposite Cameron Wake, who has 43 sacks over the past four seasons.
Information from ESPN' s Adam Schefter and The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 8 min ago
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos