Browns sign rookie LB Mingo to 4-year deal
Nothing else is in rookie linebacker Barkevious Mingo's way but some blockers.CLEVELAND -- Nothing else is in rookie linebacker Barkevious Mingo's way but some blockers.
The Browns signed the No. 6 overall pick in this year's NFL draft to a four-year contract on Sunday. The deal, which is worth over $16 million, includes a team option in the fifth year.
Mingo's agent, Jeff Guerriero, finalized the package with the Browns early in the morning. Mingo had been the team's only unsigned rookie as the sides clashed over "offset" language. However, the agreement means the speedy outside linebacker will not miss any significant time and will be on the field Thursday when the Browns open their first training camp under first-year coach Rob Chudzinski.
The Browns were able to keep the offset language in the contract, which means they will not have to pay him the remainder of his deal if he is cut before it expires and signs with another team. Mingo will receive his entire signing bonus by December.
The 6-foot-4, 240-pound Mingo played in 40 games at LSU. He made 15 starts and recorded 119 tackles and 15 sacks.
Even before he was drafted, Mingo heard skeptics say he's too light to play linebacker in the pros and will have a difficult time against bigger, stronger offensive linemen. However, Mingo insists his weight won't be an issue and the Browns are confident his exceptional quickness will give him an advantage.
Mingo played defensive end in college, but will switch to outside linebacker in new coordinator Ray Horton's 3-4, multi-front alignment. He mostly worked with the second-team defense in spring practices, behind Paul Kruger and Jabaal Sheard. Mingo, though, is expected to have an impact on Cleveland's defense in his first season.
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat 53 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 31 min ago
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute 57 min ago
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 39 min ago
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley 26 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship 16 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
16 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
11 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
31 min ago
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card...
57 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos