Giants' Connor: Arrest for knife 'unfortunate'
New York Giants linebacker Dan Connor took responsibility for his arrest earlier this month at Philadelphia International Airport for possession of a switchblade in his luggage.
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York Giants linebacker Dan Connor took responsibility for his arrest earlier this month at Philadelphia International Airport for possession of a switchblade in his luggage.
Connor, who was released from jail on his own recognizance, said he was embarrassed and had no idea the knife was in his bag. The linebacker said it was a "spring-loaded" knife he thought he had lost during moving.
"I was flying out to a wedding in Pittsburgh and had something in my bag, a pocket knife that I didn't even know about," Connor explained. "I hadn't seen it in over a year. I was a little shocked when they pulled it out. It's something I have to deal with now.
"I was here all offseason, I was able to lay a foundation hopefully with the coaches to let them know what kind of guy I am. But I'm responsible for it and I'll accept whatever punishment is handed out."
The Giants signed Connor to a one-year deal during free agency to compete for the middle linebacker starting job with Mark Herzlich. Connor said the Giants were disappointed in the arrest.
"They don't want the bad publicity and I don't want it on myself," Connor said. "Being a new guy here, I don't want to put a scar or have a bad mark on a city that doesn't even know me that well. It's just unfortunate."
"But at the same time, it's my fault," he added. "And I have to prove to everybody that I'm not that type of guy, a guy to get in trouble. It was the first time I've been arrested, so pretty embarrassing for me."
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ 31 min ago
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles 16 min ago
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos