Candy KOs Cowboys' Church from practice
As the starting safety for the Dallas Cowboys, Barry Church has to take on players bigger, faster and stronger all the time to succeed.
So it is somewhat ironic that a Jolly Rancher led to his absence from Monday's practice.
A cherry-flavored Jolly Rancher, to be precise.
Before flying to Oxnard, Calif., for training camp, Church chipped his tooth on a Jolly Rancher and he kind of ignored the pain.
"I woke up [Monday] morning and the pain was crazy, so I had to get it taken care of," Church said.
Church underwent a root canal. The pain of the root canal nearly buckled Church, who had surgery on a torn Achilles last season. He has to go back to the dentist to complete the process on Monday, which will come after a cross-country flight from Canton, Ohio, to California with the Cowboys playing in the Hall of Fame Game.
"This is the first time I had to go to the dentist [for a procedure like this]," Church said. "I don't want to go back. It was terrible."
When his teammates and coaches found out why he missed practice, Church caught all sorts of good-natured grief.
"I took the punches and kept rolling," he said with a laugh.
Church will return to practice Tuesday, but he will change his diet.
"No more Jolly Ranchers," Church said. "I've got to stick to the soft stuff: Starbursts, Skittles, all that."
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos