Brees amazed at reaction about takeout tip
Drew Brees says he's amazed his $3 tip on a $74 takeout order last month has become a talking point on national television and the Internet.
METAIRIE, La. -- Drew Brees says he's amazed his $3 tip on a $74 takeout order last month has become a talking point on national television and the Internet.
The quarterback was in the locker room at Saints headquarters Thursday morning when he noticed a discussion on a network morning show about tipping on takeout orders, referencing a photograph of his takeout receipt that was circulated online.
Brees said he figures the person who initially photographed the receipt did so innocently because he visits the San Diego-area restaurant regularly and poses for photos with staff.
The quarterback said he was disappointed "that it actually got spun and perceived as -- you immediately jump to the conclusion that he stiffed a waiter or waitress. That's the part that bothers me."
Brees responded to the blog himself on Twitter.
In case anyone still cares about this report: I tipped $3 on a takeout order. Had we sat down it would have been 20%+ http://t.co/Ktfnnl10pX— Drew Brees (@drewbrees) July 31, 2013
Brees suggested the headline to the initial blog post, which referred to him as "cheap," could have just as easily stated instead that he typically gives restaurant staff a few extra dollars on takeout orders, "but nobody's going to read that."
Brees' contract with the Saints pays $100 million over five years.
The quarterback did not appear deeply disturbed by the matter, smiling often while discussing it. He said he'll be happy if his takeout tip turns out to be the biggest controversy he has to discuss all season.Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos