Bills ink QB Leinart for depth, acquire Lewis
The Buffalo Bills signed veteran quarterback Matt Leinart Sunday, the team announced.
Terms of the deal weren't disclosed.
Leinart fills an immediate need at Buffalo's injury-depleted quarterback position. The Bills later added quarterback Thad Lewis in a trade that sent linebacker Chris White to Detroit. Undrafted rookie Jeff Tuel also is on the roster.
Leinart, the 2004 Heisman Trophy at Southern California, was drafted by Arizona in the first round in 2006. After four seasons with the Cardinals, he spent 2011 with Houston and last year with Oakland.
Lewis spent the last two seasons with Cleveland. He started the Browns' 2012 regular-season finale against Pittsburgh, completing 22 of 32 passes for 204 yards with a touchdown and an interception.
Kolb was injured in the first quarter when he was kneed in the helmet following an 8-yard scramble. Coach Doug Marrone said it was too soon to determine how much time Kolb could miss. The injury-prone quarterback has had issues with concussions in the past, having sustained two in his first six seasons.
After releasing Tarvaris Jackson earlier in the offseason, the Bills hoped Kolb and Manuel would compete for the starting job at training camp but injuries have gotten in the way.
Kolb missed more than a week of camp after injuring his left knee on Aug. 3. Kolb was hurt when he tripped on a wet rubber mat between practice fields.
Manuel appeared well on his way toward earning the job before he sustained a left knee injury of his own in Buffalo's second preseason game. Manuel has not been ruled out for Buffalo's season opener and the Bills are optimistic regarding his return. He had what the team referred to only as a "minor procedure" after injuring his knee.
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 44 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown 23 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 23 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow 38 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos