Chargers' Rivers: I don't need to be 'fixed'
San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers says he's perplexed by the notion that his game needs fixing.
Rivers, a four-time Pro Bowler who led the NFL in passing yards in 2010 with 4,710, says he knows some of his turnovers have contributed to the Chargers' struggles recently but scoffs at the idea that his game needs an overhaul.
"The thing that's gotten to me this offseason is, 'Who's going to fix Philip?'" Rivers told The Los Angeles Times. "That phrase, I almost laugh it off. That drives me nuts, really.
"There's no question I'm responsible for some of the plays and some of the games we haven't won. I'm not going to shy away from that. But we can go sit in there and watch a lot of tape from last year, and I'll ask you, 'What do you want to fix?' It's just about eliminating some of the bad plays."
Rivers, 31, also has had to deal with a lack of protection from his offensive line the last two seasons, having been sacked an AFC-worst 49 times in 2012 and 79 times over the last two seasons.
The Chargers have missed the postseason the past three seasons, which led to the dismissal of coach Norv Turner and the hiring of Mike McCoy, who together with offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt has installed a new offseason scheme. The Chargers were 7-9 in 2012, their first losing season since 2003. Rivers told The Times it was the first losing season of his football career.
In three preseason games running the Chargers' new system, Rivers has completed 20 of 33 passes for 166 yards and no touchdowns. He also has thrown two interceptions, lost a fumble and been sacked three times.
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance...
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos