Panthers RB Smith fined for kicking opponent
Carolina Panthers running back Armond Smith was fined $15,000 by the NFL for kicking a Baltimore Ravens player in the groin during an Aug. 22 preseason game.
Smith was ejected for the kick that came after he was tackled by Baltimore's Albert McClellan in the fourth quarter. McClellan was on the ground when Smith used his right foot to strike the linebacker between the legs.
"I think he thought I was holding him down," McClellan said at the time. "Our legs got tangled up. He hopped up and kicked me. I did my best to keep my cool."
"He told me, 'Coach, he twisted on me,'" Panthers coach Ron Rivera said after the game. "And that's unfortunate because that's not the type of character that he is. He's disappointed, and he's very apologetic. And I know the league will have something to say about it.
"But just knowing who Armond is, that's a tough one for him to swallow because that's not his character. And that was most certainly out of his character."
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos