Matthews: I'm awesome player, not dirty
Reacting to San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh's comments, Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews defended his style: "I'm an awesome player, not a dirty player."
The linebacker said as much in response to questions about his late hit on San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick on Sunday, whether he was fined for it, his reaction to comments made by 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh and the suggestion that he might be a dirty player.
It was the last of those questions that finally drew a response.
"Next game!" Matthews yelled and then smiled. "I'm an awesome player, not a dirty player."
It was Matthews' first session with reporters since Harbaugh on Monday described Matthews' hit on Kaepernick as a "clothesline to the neck area when our quarterback's six, seven feet out of bounds."
After the game, Matthews conceded it was not a smart play.
He would not say Thursday whether he received notification from the league office about a fine. The NFL confirms most fines on Fridays.
Matthews said he could recall being fined only once during his career for an on-field incident -- a facemask penalty against Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler in 2010 that resulted in a $5,000 fine.
"I think my résumé is pretty good right now," Matthews said. "I think we're doing all right."
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos