Giants coach Coughlin's younger brother dies
The New York Giants announced Wednesday that the younger brother of coach Tom Coughlin died earlier this week.
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The New York Giants announced Wednesday that the younger brother of coach Tom Coughlin died this week.
John Coughlin of Hackensack, N.J., died Monday night at the age of 63.
There was no cause of death listed, but a funeral home handling the arrangements said the death was unexpected.
"Our family is thankful for the expressions of sympathy and prayers for our brother John's passing," Tom Coughlin said in a statement released by the team. "We all appreciate them. John was a friend to all. He loved life, and he will be greatly missed. He left us way too soon."
Coughlin's plan is to remain with the Giants this week and coach the game Sunday at Carolina. The funeral for his brother is scheduled for Tuesday.
"I wouldn't expect anything less out of him," said guard Chris Snee, who is married to Tom Coughlin's daughter. "I don't know how he feels prior to our 8:00 meeting or after practice but during that window he is enthusiastic trying to lead us to a victory."
Defensive captain Justin Tuck said Coughlin tried to run things as he usually would at practice.
"For me, it was more him normally being himself but him being himself in a difficult situation," Tuck said. "He mentioned it and moved on. I don't think he wants to burden us with it. He is kind of like me, he isn't looking for sympathy. He is going to deal with it how he deals with it. I doubt you will hear him talk about it again."
John Coughlin had lived in New Jersey for more than 20 years, working in harness racing. He owned and operated Coughlin's Stables at the Meadowlands and was a former member of both the Standardbred Owners Association of New York and the Standardbred Breeders and Owners Association of New Jersey.
The Coughlin family asks that, in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Tom Coughlin Jay Fund Foundation.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 22 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Investigator: Missing plane flew over Malaysia 19 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Truck overturns on Paoli Pike; 1 injury
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- SEPTA unveils strike plan; union says...
15 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos