Browns add RB McGahee, day after trade
Willis McGahee passed his physical Thursday and signed a contract with the Cleveland Browns, a league source confirmed to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
McGahee's addition, which earlier was reported by ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and NFL.com, helps to fill the void created when running back Trent Richardson was traded to the Indianapolis Colts for a 2014 first-round pick.
McGahee will play Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings, a team source told ESPN's Schefter. Cleveland's offensive system under Norv Turner is similar to the one McGahee played in at Baltimore and he picked it up quickly Thursday, the source said. Cleveland's coaches aren't sure yet how much McGahee will play and won't know until after watching him Friday in practice.
McGahee had been the Denver Broncos' starting running back the last two seasons but was released by the team in June. He was set to make $2.5 million in 2013 before he was let go by Denver.
McGahee, 31, suffered a significant knee injury last season that sidelined him for the final two months.
A two-time Pro Bowler, McGahee rushed for 731 yards in 10 games for the Broncos last season and has gained 8,097 in his nine-year career. He has become one of the NFL's most dependable runners despite tearing all the ligaments in his left knee during his last game in college.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 13 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount? 20 min ago
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos