Browns' Thomas: No players 'untouchable'
Browns left tackle Joe Thomas, in light of Trent Richardson's trade to the Colts, said Friday no player "on any team is untouchable" and that rookie linebacker Barkevious Mingo is the only Browns player with reason to feel secure right now.
Cleveland Browns Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Thomas, in light of Trent Richardson's trade to the Indianapolis Colts, said Friday no player "on any team is untouchable" and that rookie linebacker Barkevious Mingo is the only Browns player with reason to feel secure right now.
"About the only people safe are the ones that came here this year in the first round that were drafted by the guys that are making the calls right now," Thomas said after practice Friday, according to the Akron Beacon Journal. "That's the way it is. I've been through four coaching staffs right now and GMs. And if you're not drafted by them, there's no safety in this business."
The Browns traded Richardson to the Colts on Wednesday for a first-round draft pick in 2014. Former Browns president Mike Holmgren told Sports Radio 950 KJR in Seattle on Thursday that he would "shake hands and walk" if a general manager told him he was making the trade.
Thomas, speaking to reporters in the Browns' locker room Friday, said he believes he is expendable despite six Pro Bowls and five All-Pro honors in his career.
"Nobody on any team is untouchable," Thomas told the Akron Beacon Journal.
"... On Tuesday, if they would've said, 'We were going to trade for Trent Richardson,' would you think it was unrealistic? You'd be surprised [if they traded me], I'm sure, but anything can happen."
Browns CEO Joe Banner said Wednesday the trade was not reflective of anything negative about Richardson, and that the team simply seized an opportunity to improve with the deal. The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported the Browns initiated the trade, citing league sources.
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 1 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 8 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident 14 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
8 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos