Bears' Melton out for season with torn ACL
Chicago Bears defensive tackle Henry Melton tore the ACL in his left knee Sunday night and will miss the rest of the season, coach Marc Trestman said Monday.
Trestman said Melton, who received the Bears' franchise tag in the offseason, is "terribly disappointed."
"We lost a very good player," Trestman said. "Unfortunately it's a next-man-up situation where the next guy has to come up and be ready to play and help our football team. We're not happy about it, but the downside of the National Football League is players are going to get hurt, and the team has to respond."
Melton took to Twitter on Monday afternoon to thank his supporters.
Hey! Thanks for all the love and support...today starts a new day for a different journey God has planned for me..— Henry Melton (@HenMel) September 23, 2013
The 26-year-old Melton also tweeted that he expects to return next season.
...I WILL be ready next season...— Henry Melton (@HenMel) September 23, 2013
Melton was carted off the field after suffering the injury during the visiting Bears' 40-23 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers. He underwent an MRI on Monday morning.
Melton left the game with 12:58 to play after he fell awkwardly while trying to make a move as he was engaged with a Pittsburgh player.
Prior to suffering the injury, Melton recovered a Felix Jones fumble caused by safety Major Wright that led to Robbie Gould's 32-yard field goal with 10:58 remaining in the third quarter. The play gave the Bears a 27-10 lead that was trimmed to 27-23 with 10:38 left.
Melton suffered a concussion during the preseason opener against the Carolina Panthers that slowed him through the first two games of the season. He didn't have a sack after coming off a 2012 campaign in which he had six.
Melton has 13 sacks since 2011, which ranks second among defensive tackles during that span.
ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, ESPNChicago.com's Doug Padilla and ESPN.com Bears reporter Michael C. Wright contributed to this report.
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos