Source: Jets' Holmes out multiple games
New York Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes will miss multiple games because his hamstring injury is worse than initially thought, according to a league source.
The Jets haven't revealed a prognosis, but the fear is that he could miss up to a month. Stephen Hill (concussion) also is expected to sit out next Monday night against the Atlanta Falcons, meaning the Jets will be down their starting wideouts.
As a result, the Jets signed veteran free agent David Nelson on Tuesday.
Veteran Ben Obomanu, who played 40 snaps in Sunday's loss to the Tennessee Titans, was released Tuesday, opening a roster spot for Nelson. Obomanu, whose role increased because of the first-quarter injury to Hill, hurt his standing with three penalties (one declined).
Nelson, cut Aug. 31 by the Cleveland Browns, worked out for the Jets last week before the injuries hit. He played with the Buffalo Bills from 2010 to 2012, compiling 94 catches, 1,042 yards and eight touchdowns.
Holmes played in the first four games after making it back from a severe LisFranc foot injury that required two surgeries. In fact, Monday was the one-year anniversary of the injury.
The Jets are concerned about Holmes because of the way the injury occurred. He was eight yards into a pass route, away from the action, when he went down suddenly, clutching his right hamstring.
Because he missed the preseason, rehabbing his surgically repaired foot, Holmes still was working his way back into top shape, which could explain the injury.
Hill suffered his concussion on the second play of the game, when he was hit in the head by Titans safety Michael Griffin. There was no penalty on the play. A dazed Hill walked slowly to the sideline and was taken to the locker room for mandatory concussion tests. On Monday, coach Rex Ryan confirmed the diagnosis.
Nelson's pending addition to the Jets had been earlier reported by The New York Post.
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting 18 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges 17 min ago
- 4 alarm fire burns at motel in Berks County 32 min ago
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt 13 min ago
- Photo released of anti-Semetic vandalism suspect
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 5 min ago
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
7 min ago
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
18 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn...
17 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos