Report: Bucs fined Freeman twice for conduct
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have fined former starting quarterback Josh Freeman twice in the last month for conduct detrimental to the team, according to an SI.com report.
The team fined Freeman undisclosed amounts for missing one or more team meetings and taking part in an unauthorized media interview, according to the report. One of the fines was handed down within the last week.
SI.com, citing a source, reports Freeman will appeal the fines.
The reported fines are just the latest turn in the ongoing saga between Freeman and the team that drafted him 17th overall in the 2009 draft.
Sources told ESPN's Ed Werder that Freeman has requested a trade but is pressuring the Buccaneers for his outright release, a move that would allow him to receive all $6.2 million in remaining salary and afford him the freedom to sign wherever he chooses. The team has no intention of immediately doing that, however, sources told Werder.
The NFL Players Association is also investigating how Freeman's presence in Stage 1 of the league's substance-abuse program became public earlier this week. On Tuesday, Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano was asked by reporters if he was the source of the information and said, "absolutely not."
Freeman was benched in favor of rookie Mike Glennon prior to the Bucs' 13-10 loss to Arizona this past Sunday. In 60 career games, Freeman has thrown for 13,534 yards, 80 touchdowns and 66 interceptions.
Information from ESPN's Ed Werder and ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas was used in this report.
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas 5 min ago
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans 48 min ago
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos