Goodell on L.A. vs. London: NFL wants both
Roger Goodell wants the NFL to return to Los Angeles and he wants to bring the league to Europe on a permanent basis.
LONDON -- Roger Goodell wants the NFL to return to Los Angeles and he wants to bring the league to Europe on a permanent basis.
In no particular order.
Speaking at a forum for European NFL fans Saturday on the eve of the 49ers-Jaguars game at Wembley Stadium, Goodell was asked by a fan about going back to L.A. and where it ranks on the league's wish list compared to putting a team in London.
"It doesn't matter," Goodell said.
"I'd love to be back in Los Angeles," Goodell said. "But it has to be done the right way, we have to do it successfully. ...
"I want both (London and L.A.), but it doesn't matter which one is first."
The NFL has not had an NFL franchise in Los Angeles since 1995 when both the Rams and the Raiders relocated.
If the NFL puts a team in London, it would be the only American professional sports league to have a team based in Europe.
There has been talk that there could perhaps be a Super Bowl held in London. However, Goodell said Saturday that will likely only happen if there is a franchise in London because the Super Bowl is played in cities where the NFL has teams based.
Goodell is a huge proponent of playing in London. There will be two regular-season games played in London this season and three in 2014. The games are wildly popular and have been sellouts.
"You are proving you are worthy of a franchise," Goodell told the European fans.
Meanwhile, Goodell said there could be a female official working in the league by next season. The league had a female official work in the preseason.
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Video: Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos