Falcons GM: Coach Smith 'going nowhere'
Atlanta Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff made it clear that head coach Mike Smith's job remains secure despite outside speculation following the team's 2-7 start.
ATLANTA -- Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff made it clear that coach Mike Smith's job remains secure despite the team's 2-7 start.
A report by CBSSports.com linked Jon Gruden to the Falcons job, if it were to open. Gruden currently is ESPN's "Monday Night Football" analyst.
Dimitroff was asked for his response to the report.
"Mike Smith is a hell of a football coach; he's the leader of this team," Dimitroff told ESPN.com. "Mike's going nowhere."
Smith entered this season with a 56-24 overall record and two NFC South titles since taking over the team in 2008. The Falcons finished 13-3 a year ago and made it the NFC Championship Game before losing to the San Francisco 49ers. Smith guided the Falcons to three straight playoff appearances prior to this season and was named the Associated Press' Coach of the Year in 2008.
Dimitroff expanded on his thoughts regarding speculation about the future of the head coaching position.
"Any time there's insinuation toward an organization that we believe in, it's agitating, sure," he said.
The Falcons signed Smith to a three-year contract extension in February 2011.
"I know the NFL is a performance-driven business, but it seems like people don't look at your body of work," Gonzalez said. "They always want to know, 'What have you done for me lately?' But if you look at what Coach Smith has done since he's been here ... obviously last year, we were in the NFC Championship Game.
"We have a lot of injuries this year -- key injuries. And it's hard to win like that. So I don't think he deserves any type of blame."
- Police try to ID mystery hit-and-run victim
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse 16 min ago
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China 41 min ago
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
7 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos