Packers work out Flynn, McCarthy confirms
Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy confirmed quarterback Matt Flynn worked out for the team Monday, and a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that the Packers will sign him, as they try to settle the flux at the position.
Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy confirmed quarterback Matt Flynn worked out for the team Monday, and a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that the Packers will sign him, as they try to settle the flux at the position following injuries to Aaron Rodgers and Seneca Wallace.
McCarthy said Sunday that Scott Tolzien, who replaced Wallace in the loss to the Eagles, would start next Sunday against the New York Giants. Tolzien completed 24 of 38 passes for 280 yards with one touchdown pass and two interceptions against Philadelphia after Wallace left with a groin injury.
"[Flynn] went through his workout this morning. [He] looks good," McCarthy told reporters Monday, according to NFL.com. "That's really all I have for you right now. Everything else is a work in progress. ... A lot of the information that you need to make decisions is still coming in, so we're still trying to put it all together."
NFL.com also reported Monday that the Packers will work out veteran quarterback John Skelton.
McCarthy said Monday that Rodgers believes he is still a few weeks away from returning to action from his broken left collarbone. Asked about the status of Wallace's injury Monday, McCarthy said he didn't have an answer.
McCarthy's staff has a positive history with Flynn and confidence in his knowledge of the team's offensive system. Flynn, who has played for the Seattle Seahawks, Oakland Raiders and Buffalo Bills since leaving the Packers in the 2012 offseason, passed for 480 yards and six touchdowns in his second start for the Packers in their 2011 regular-season finale. Both totals set team records.
A source told ESPN NFL Insider Ed Werder on Sunday that the Packers wanted to evaluate the health of the elbow on Flynn's passing arm during Monday's workout.
ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert contributed to this report.
- Kensington chocolate factory shut down by City
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed 38 min ago
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man 22 min ago
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 38 min ago
- Suspects sought for shooting into home 11 min ago
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- DA: Montco man gave alcohol at 'Sweet 16' party
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Suspects sought for shooting into home
11 min ago
- Saving with 6abc: Shopping seasonally
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos