Mandela tournament to be played next week
The Nelson Mandela Championship golf tournament will end one day early next week to recognize the state funeral for the late president.
DURBAN, South Africa -- The Nelson Mandela Championship golf tournament will end one day early next week to recognize the state funeral for the late president.
This is the second year the tournament is part of the official European Tour schedule. It was scheduled for Dec. 12-15 at Mount Edgecombe Country Club. The European Tour and Sunshine Tour say it now will start Wednesday and end Saturday.
An official memorial service for Mandela is scheduled for Tuesday at FNB Stadium in Johannesburg, where Mandela made his last public appearance at the closing ceremony of the 2010 World Cup. His body will lie in state Wednesday through Friday in Pretoria. The state funeral and burial at Qunu will be Sunday.
The tournament honors Mandela's charity work through the Nelson Mandela Children's Fund.
- Teen injured in Willingboro hit, run 52 min ago
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos